Friday, 28 February 2014

Philosophy of Education

In a couple of my classes we are being asked to reflect upon our Philosophy of Education. Why we educate, what is important, what we hope to accomplish, why we do what we do etc. In creating this, I did not want to get stuck in a long winded essay mentioning every single thing I hope to achieve. I wanted to mention a few broad key points that having meaning to me and that I believe to be vital in my responsibilities as an educator. So here is what I came up with. My Philosophy of Education...

I believe that each student is a unique individual that has their own motivations, interests and goals. As a teacher, my responsibility is to provide these students with the opportunity to discover themselves, their surroundings and the interactions around them and to construct knowledge that is meaningful and relevant to their life and interests.

It is important to provide a safe, respectful environment that is inviting of new ideas. Feeling safe and respected and giving respect creates a dynamic of comfort among one another to share ideas, feelings and thoughts. Student input is crucial to a successful classroom. Developing lessons and units with student input has them become invested in what they are learning and in turn they become more motivated to reach goals.

Students need to have compassionate, strong, and dedicated individuals who are excited about working with them. Children are our future, and they all have the potential to bring something new to the world. It is my goal as an educator to assist students in reaching their highest potential.




No comments:

Post a Comment